Water Sensitivity and Germanative Energy
This 72 hour test indicates the percentage of corns that will germinate under near normal conditions.
Water sensitivity is measured by conducting the test with larger volumes of water.
Water sensitivity is an important factor for maltsters as barley is steeped as part of the malting process.
- Place 100 corns on two layers of filter paper in a petri dish
- Add 4.0 ml of purified water
- Place in the incubator at 20⁰C for 24 hours
- Remove and count chitted corns
- Discard chitted corns and return to incubator for 24 hours
- Repeat previous stage
- To decree water sensitivity repeat the above process with 8.0 ml of purified water