Infestation and Temperature
Insect, mite, fungal and mycotoxin development are controlled by temperature. At temperatures typically found in grain stores, biological activity of insects etc doubles for every 10⁰C rise in temp.
- Most insects breed rapidly at 25-33⁰C
- Most insects can’t breed below 15⁰C
- Grain weevils can reproduce slowly at 12⁰C
- Below 5⁰ insects cannot feed and slowly die
- Mites and fungi can increase (very slowly) down to 5⁰C in moist grain
- Mycotoxin formation is most likely between 15⁰C and 25⁰C